Monthly summer event raising funds for local nonprofits
LANCASTER, Pa. — The 300 Block of North Queen Street for years has been a hub of commerce and community. And now the venerable shopping and dining district can add generosity to that reputation.
The Sips & Bits Stroll, the brainchild of Karin Meacham, owner of Art & Glassworks, is in its second month of a summerlong “300 Block Cares” event to raise funds for local non-profits. The event pairs up local independent retail shops with local purveyors of all things yummy and tasty.
During the first installment of Sips & Bits Stroll in May, more than $800 was raised through ticket sales, said Ashley Mudge, a co-organizer.
Tickets are $10 per person in advance; $12 per person the day of the event. All proceeds benefit Music for Everyone, which organizes the monthly Music Friday program and raises funds for instruments in schools, and the Pennsylvania Guild of Craftsman, which has been supporting artisans for more than 70 years and is part of the 300 Block, Mudge said. Tasters can start at any participating shop, and get a map of all the stops when tickets are picked up at Because I Like U, 307 N. Queen St., prior to the start of the stroll. Purchase tickets at participating stops or at http://bit.ly/22nmKJo (Note: All alcoholic beverages served are complimentary and not part of the ticket price.)
Sips & Bits Stroll participants also get exclusive discounts and may enter a raffle at each event stop, Mudge said. “This is our merchants’ way of saying thank you for helping us help two deserving community non-profits,” she said.
The monthly event will be held through September on the third Friday of the month. “It’s a great night out in Downtown Lancaster and a great way to give back to the community,” Mudge said.
The 14 stops on the June 17 event include:
- Splits & Giggles at Dwelling, 356 N. Queen St.
- Fat Cow Coffee Roasters and The Baker’s Table at Building Character , 342 N. Queen St.; plus live music by Kiana Corley of Harrisburg
- Waltz Vineyards at Mise en Place, 341 N. Queen St.
- Wacker Brewing Co. at the Guild Store, 335 N. Queen St.
- Stoudt’s Brewing Co. at Art and Glassworks, 319 N. Queen St.; plus live music by Blues on the Loose
- TBA at Space, 336 N. Queen St.
- Green Circle Organics at The Scarlet Willow, 320 N. Queen St.
- Lancaster Brewing Co. and Hammond’s Pretzels at Madcap & Co., 310 N. Queen St.; plus live music by Dillweed
- Nuts about Granola at Hidden Treasures, 227 N. Prince St.
- TBA at Puff ‘N Stuff, 253 N. Queen St.
- Chef Rachael Vieni Reinmiller owner of Commonwealth on Queen, 301 N. Queen St.; plus live music by Alice Ziegler
- Culinary Services by Chef Oliver at Boutique Tana Kaya, 305 N. Queen St.
- Lancaster Cupcake at Because I Like U, 307 N. Queen St.
- TBA at Twice Found, 309-311 N. Queen St.
Additional details can be found at www.facebook.com/300blocknorthqueen.